Today I got a special problem I want to share with you. I tried to install SCVMM 2012 SP1 console on my Windows 7 VM to do some troubleshooting, but I get error message “Generic Trust Failure” when I click Install button in SCVMM 2012 SP1 installer, it mentioned something related to Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable.
I tried to run Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable installer from image folder directly, it show me exactly same error message. Nothing I found on google, but most posts pointed to signature.
After deep dive into the problem, I figured out a solution:
- Go to PrerequisitesVCRedisti386 folder of SCVMM 2012 SP1 image.
- Copy vcredist_x86.exe to local disk.
- Extract the executable file to a folder. (You have to install WinZip or something else to do that)
- Enter the extracted folder, right click Setup.exe.
- Select Properties.
- Go to Digital Signatures tab.
- Highlight the certification and click Details.
- Click View Certification button on pop-up window.
- Click Install Certificate button.
- Process the wizard by default option.
Troubleshooting of Microsoft product is much different with Linux, you have to dividing and conquering, deep dive into each elements of the product, read carefully of each logs, then you will find root cause.
Please let me know if you have better solution. 🙂