VDP在未来的vSphere版本中将不再继续更新。在2022年以前对于现有的VDP客户没有影响。如果客户想迁移到其他备份方案，VMware提供限定时间内的免费迁移至Dell EMC Avamar Virtual Edition的促销。客户依旧可以通过vCenter的存储API把第三方备份解决方案和vCenter整合。
Just a quick update that VDP will discontinued in future release of vSphere. It doesn`t impact to existing customers till 2022. VMware offers free migration to Dell EMC Avamar Virtual Edition in limited time if customers want to move to other backup solution. Customers can also use other 3rd party backup solutions to integrate with vCenter Server via storage API.
vCenter Server 5.5 Update 2e contains fix of Storage Monitor Service. It’s also a stable version since 5.5 Update 1. I got a problem when I upgraded my development vCenter Server last weekend. I’d like to share the solution since VMware doesn’t document that problem. (Maybe I didn’t find it. :-)) It’s kind tricky.
vCenter Server 5.5 Update 2e包含SMS服务的bug修复，它也是当前比较稳定的版本。上周我在升级vCenter Server到这个版本时遇到了一个问题。此问题不是那么容易修复因为VMware的KB并没有提供解决方案，我在这里把我的方法共享出来。
You probably will see similar issue below if you upgrade vCenter Server from 5.x to 5.5.
vSphere Client show following error when login to vCenter Server by domain account.
The vSphere Client could not connect to vCenter server. The server vCenter server took too long to respond. (The command has timed out as the remote server is taking too long to respond.)
That’s a very small problem but it struggles you if you are enterprise datacenter administrator. As you may know the best practices to run application is by service account. But sometimes you may testing applications by your own domain account and forget remove it.
Few days ago, my domain account locked out on domain controller. The audit report indicated it locked out by vCenter Server every 5 seconds. Then I logged in the vCenter Server, checked out Task Scheduler, Services, Task Manager…etc. Nothing was running under my domain account. I stopped applications one by one on the vCenter Server and related plugin services. No help, I felt so frustrated!!!
Here is how I figured it out eventually.
- Download TCPView from Microsoft website.
- Run it on the vCenter Server.
- Sort by Local Address.
- See which foreign address is connecting the vCenter Server.
After the steps above I finally figured out that root cause was my VMware View LAB VM tried to authenticate on vCenter Server by my domain account and stored old password. I powered up the old VM few days ago.
- 从微软网站下载TCPView 。
- 选择以Local Address（本地地址）排序。
- 查看连接到vCenter服务器的Foreign Address（外部地址）。
If you have set of group VMs and particular group can access each set VMs, you should grant access on vSphere Client or vSphere Web Client.
SSO is slowly sometimes, you could use following CLI to do it more efficient.
New-VIPermission -Entity “Folder Name” -Principal “Domaingroup name” -Role “Role name”
You could do it faster for regular folder name or group name by excel and notepad:
New-VIPermission -Entity “
” -Principal “
” -Role “Role name“
Guess how to do it.
It’s been a long time since last post, I was pretty busy on a storage issue, I did a lot of work with hardware vendor and VMware for this weird issue.
During our troubleshooting, I noticed a minor problem when I try search VM in vSphere Client, everytime it gave me error message “Unable to connect to web services to execute query“, it requested me “Verify that the VMware VirtualCenter Management Webservices service is running”
I tried to reboot vCenter Server, restart Management webservices and even re-installed vSphere Client, no lucky….Finally I fixed the problem by following step:
- Stop VMware VirtualCenter Management Webservices service on vCenter Server.
- Backup Data folder in C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\tomcat\webapps\sms\WEB-INF\classes\com\vmware\vim\sms.
- Remove all sms-*.db files in Data folder.
- Restart VMware VirtualCenter Management Webservices service.
It’s simple steps to fix the problem, but this issue confused me and VMware support for a long time. This problem appeared after we upgraded vCenter Server from 5.0 to 5.1, first thing we suspected was inventory services, error message below was logged in ds.log when we searched VM.
[2013-05-25 12:04:31,995 http-nio-/0.0.0.0-10443-exec-634 INFO com.vmware.vim.vcauthenticate.servlets.AuthenticationServlet] Sending security error because of exception : com.vmware.vim.vcauthenticate.exception.SsoUnreachableException: com.vmware.vim.dataservices.ssoauthentication.exception.ServiceCommunicationException: com.vmware.vim.sso.admin.exception.InternalError: General failure.
It looks like a authentication issue, right? So we checked SSO, service account…etc. The unclearly logs lead to a wrong way. :-)
Since nobody complained to me, I suspected that’s a client side issue, then we tried search on another purge client but same issue. We also suspected the cache of vCenter inventory, but logs didn’t evidence it is, we cannot just reset inventory cache database since that’s production environment!
Okay, I talk too much about troubleshooting process, let’s talk about the search function of vSphere, my understood is vCenter search objects by two different way: Web Client or vSphere Client. It looks like Web Client retrieve data from database or Web Client server.
vSphere Client get data from cache database. The cache database is located in vCenter Server install folder, default path is C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\tomcat\webapps\sms\WEB-INF\classes\com\vmware\vim\sms. the cache file is actually H2 databases, it work together with Tomcat web services, sms folder contains application files of Storage Monitoring Services, it use H2 database engine v1.2.147. Please comments if you think I’m wrong.
If the H2 database incorrupt, storage monitoring services also stop working, you can find the service in Service initializing… status with warning status in vCenter Service Status node of vSphere Client.
One solution fix two issue, I like it!