IP address for KVM in Cisco UCS Manager is different with HPE servers. It may assign multiple IP addresses to same blade if you don’t configure it properly. In my case each blade gets 3 IP addresses!
There are actually 3 types of IP address for KVM. (Cisco manual says 2):
- Outbound Management IPs.
- Inbound Management IPs for Blades.
- Inbound Management IPs for Service Profiles.
“Outbound Management IP” is default for KVM. Every new deployed blade will try to get a DHCP IP address over Cisco UCS Fabric Interconnect management port in same VLAN.
The confusion is the 2nd and 3rd IPs. “Inbound Management IPs for Blades” is from “hardware” perspective. “Inbound Management IPs for Service Profiles” is from “logical” perspective.
If you go to Equipment -> Chassis -> blade -> Click the KVM to go console. You get console over either Outbound Management IP or Inbound Management IPs for Blades.
If you go to Servers -> Service Profiles -> Click the KVM of a service profile. You get console over either Outbound Management IP or Inbound Management IPs for Service Profiles.
If you want to configure just 1 IP for a blade whatever it’s for hardware or service profile. You need to do following:
- Delete the range of the default ext-mgmt in IP Pools of LAN node in Cisco UCS Manager.
- Create a new inbound IP pool and a VLAN group without uplink.
- Choose the VLAN and inbound IP pool in LAN Cloud -> Global Policies -> Inbound Profile.
- Assign the VLAN and inbound IP pool to templates or service profile.
Refer to Setting the Management IP Address of Cisco UCS Manager manual for detail.
BTW, you may see Vlan ‘xxx’ resolved to unsupported VLAN ID in Cisco UCS Manager when you clean up existing IP pool and create new inbound pool.